Monday, October 30, 2006

Random Thoughts from the Weekend (extended edition)

1. I know it's just Minnesota, but 44-0 is still 44-0.

2. In addition, it looks pretty sweet when ESPN shows that "Top 10 scoreboard" and that 44-0 is sitting on top Michigan's 17-3 win, USC's 31-33 loss, and Texas, Auburn, Tennessee and Florida's close game.

3. It wasn't like OSU was running up the score either. The backup were in most, if not all, of the 4th quarter. And their last TD, if I'm not mistaken, was a drive full of Chris Wells runs (and punched in by a Zwick QB sneak).

4. USC's loss makes way for West Virginia to get into the title game. Everyone knows that WV can run the ball (and they run it extremely well) and that Ohio State has had some trouble with stopping that run. That's all well and good, but if you give Jim Tressel that much time to stop a one dimensional team, don't bet against the Buckeyes.

5. Anyone out there have an update on Buckeye receiver Ray Small? He took a huge shot during the game and looked like he was shaking. It was ugly. I never heard any more updates on him throughout the game.

6. Smith only had 183 yards and 1 TD, but he was 14-21. The one thing I love about Ohio State is that they don't really pad their stats. I mean, Smith could've gone out there and thrown 45 times, racking up big yards and TD totals. Sure, 44-0 is a pretty big beating, but like I said, a lot of that was the running game kicking ass.

7. The Heisman is Smith's to lose. I think it's in the bag unless he has a terrible game versus Michigan. Like 3 INT and a blowout loss. But, for some reason, I don't see that happening.

8. There's a lot of talk right now of a Michigan-Ohio State championship game rematch. For obvious reasons, I'd be all about this. However, for it happen, there cannot be any undefeated teams left. So that means West Virginia and Louisville will have to lose (and they play this week, so one will). Ohio State would have to win in a close one. An overtime or two could really put it over the top. That'd be the only way Michigan wouldn't drop out of the top 2. But even then... it's probably just a pipe dream.

9. Yes, West Virginia still has those 2 first place votes. I should really just let it go. But I can't.

10. So I was at the Browns game yesterday. My first Browns game ever in fact. I've been to the stadium before (Hudson Marching Band style) but I had not taken in a game (I've been Columbus for awhile, lay off). I feel privileged to have seen a Browns home win (I also saw one of the Cavs 17 wins in the season before LeBron, awesome).

11. What struck me was how different a Browns game atmosphere is from a Cavs or Indians game. If you go to a Cavs game (and I've seen a ton) it's very business like and, while there are a few people wearing jerseys, they aren't exactly everywhere. You'll also see other MLB or NBA jerseys at Tribe and Cavs game (especially pre-LeBron). But not so at the Browns games; EVERYONE was wearing Browns jerseys (one reason is that football jerseys are easier to put over coats and hoodies, but still). And not just the stars like Winslow and Edwards (and Frye) but 'second tier' Browns like Reuben Droughns and Joe Jurevicius. You'll rarely see stuff like that at a Cavs or Indians game (an Eric Snow jersey? sign me up).

12. I made a lot of jersey cracks throughout the day like , "A William Green jersey? There's a good investment". But this is coming from a guy who bought Maurice Clarett jersey. That was 50 dollars well spent.

13. Although, my favorite jerseys were some custom jobs. A number 2 Browns jersey with the last name of "Steamers". Well done.

14. Once the Browns got up 17-3 I turned to my buddy and asked "so, how are they going to blow this?" We came up with the Jets getting some kind a special teams play, and a turnover during a stretch when the Browns offense is going too conservative (either a Droughns fumble or a Frye pick off of a 3rd and 9).

15. Well, the Jets got a kick off return for a TD and the Browns offense went conservative. But no costly TOs. I have no idea how close that last play was, but thank the lord the Browns got the call. If they lost that game, I don't even want to know what the fans would've done.

16. I thought Frye looked decent; he got a lot of time in the first half and made some nice plays. He did have one INT, but I didn't think it was too bad. It was a long one; it wasn't as good a good punt, but it was as good as an average punt. Turns out it helped, cause the Jets went 3 and out and missed a field goal.

17. Speaking of that missed field goal, I'm sorry, but I can't root against Mike Nugent. Not happening.

18. Terry Pluto:
The Browns did more than beat the New York Jets 20-13, they looked like a team with a clue on offense.

Not every play worked, but at least the team knew what plays it planned to run -- and where guys should stand.

It's amazing you have to mention something so basic about a pro team, but these are the Browns. You've seen 12 men in the huddle, guys lining up offside and receivers running left, passes going right.

We won't even talk about the blocking assignments missed, the timeouts wasted because no one was sure what was happening on the field.

But Sunday was different, starting with the fact that the Browns actually won their first home game.

More Pluto here.

19. Honestly, a Browns home win is like freaking Christmas. They both come once a year (Hey-o!)

20. Roger Brown takes aim at Phil Savage. I can't say I totally disagree (I want more linemen dammit), but he makes a good point on the Oklahoma players (enough is enough). However, overall I think Savage has done a pretty decent job.

21. How is Oakland on a 2 game win streak?

22. I'm up 115 to 67 going into tonight's Monday night game. I also have Tom Brady, Laurence Maroney and Corey Dillon going tonight, hopefully I'll pull this one out.

23. Set the Tivo, LeBron's gonna be on the Daily Show tonight. Also, the Daily Show is filming on Ohio States campus all week long (for their Midwest Midterm Midtacular). The Daily Show. Ohio State. LeBron James. It's like a perfect storm of Ben's favorite things.

24. This is awesome:
NBA players routinely pay big money for watches, but not the one Drew Gooden is now sporting. Gooden is on a big 1980s kick, a current fad in his hometown of Oakland. The Cavs forward recently plunked down $300 on eBay to get a vintage Casio calculator watch.

He's growing a square patch of hair in the back of his otherwise shaved head, which he calls a ``ducktail,'' another '80s look. His left eyebrow also has two lines shaved into it, another forgotten trend from the time of the Reagan Administration.

Gooden, however, was a little upset he had to get into a bidding war for the watch. Apparently he's run into another trend, as fans of NBC's The Office are in the market because one is sported by favorite nerdy character Dwight Schrute.

``It was me and another guy and we were bidding back and forth and it kept going up and up,'' Gooden said. ``I was lucky I got it.''

No word yet on his bid for retro leg warmers.

25. With Drew Gooden's ducktail, Varejao's Sideshow Bob hair cut and the addition of Scot Pollard, the Cavs big men look entertaining to say the least.

26. Eric Snow is aware that you hate him.

27. Windhorst says the Cavs are the 6th best team in the league. It's hard to gripe with that (he has both Detroit and Miami ahead of them in the East), but I do think he (along with everyone else) is rating Phoenix way too high.

28.

Q: So how many games will the Cavs win this season?

A: I'll go with 53.

Q: Only 53?

A: Since when did ``only'' and ``53 wins'' ever appear in the same sentence about the Cavs? That's a lot of victories. The East is better, especially in the Central Division, where Detroit will win at least 55 games, where Chicago has improved dramatically and where Milwaukee is solid.

Q: But they won 50 a year ago; shouldn't they win at least 55?

A: The idea is to have the team winning enough games for home court in as many playoff rounds as possible. Even more important, to be playing as well as possible in the playoffs. That means not playing James more minutes than anyone else in the league to win a few extra games. It means working on an offense that is more than pick-and-rolls -- or throwing the ball to James and letting him do something. It means growing on defense, and learning how to win close, physical games under pressure. It means making sure the key guys on the bench play enough to stay sharp. So 50, 53 or 55, there's no big difference if the Cavs can accomplish most of these goals.

I'm with Pluto on this. I think the Cavs should win somewhere between 50-55 games. I don't really see them challenging the franchise record of 57 unless the offense really comes together. Read the rest of Pluto.

29. Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.Wednesday 8:00pm.

30. Red Auerbach passed away. The NBA lost a great one, there's nothing I can really say that people haven't already stated. But the guy was awesome. Read Simmons's interview with Red from a few years ago.

31. This is a delight. (hat tip to Sepe)

32. The new Scissor Sisters' album, Tah-Dah is pretty good. If I were to tell you that it was a lost Elton John album from the 70s, you'd be hard pressed to know if I was lying. Some of the songs get too 'dance-y' (the whole album is pretty overproduced, but the songs are catchy enough for me to get over it), but overall, it's a pretty solid album.

33. Fire Joe Morgan has been going insane on this David Eckstein business.

34. Rush Limbaugh is a douchebag.

35. I'm in two fantasy basketball leagues this season, and I missed one of the league's draft. Guess which one I missed.
Team 1:
Raymond Felton
Michael Redd
Tony Parker
Donyell Marshall
Chris Bosh
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming
Darko Milic
Rajon Rondo
Kyle Korver
Steve Francis
Joel Przybilla
Bonzi Wells

Team 2:

Mike Bibby
Vince Carter
Sam Cassell
Andres Nocinoi
Elton Brand
Carlos Boozer
Kenny Thomas
Brevin Knight
Damon Stoudamire
Mike Dunleavy
Chris Duhon
Damon Jones
Luther Head

Give up? I'll give you a hint, you think I drafted Damon Jones AND Mike Dunleavy?

36. I don't know about you, but I'm excited for No Laugh Track Thursdays.

37. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

38. MMQB

39. SI.com's first power rankings... behind the Nets(?) but ahead of the Bulls.

40. I wouldn't mind him landing in Cleveland.

No comments: