Thursday, December 06, 2007

Are You Kidding Me?

Sorry for the terrible pun, but last week I read this article on SI.com which contained the following (emphasis mine):
Something tells me that Jason Kidd wouldn't mind playing with LeBron James. Sooner rather than later.

"I always keep in touch with LeBron,'' said Kidd, who became friends with James while they played for USA Basketball last summer in Las Vegas. "I think the sky's the limit for him. We hung out a lot this summer in Vegas and I appreciate the work ethic, that he doesn't just rely on his talent and that he wants to get as much information as possible. Me being on another team, I don't mind cheering for somebody because I want him to be the best that he can be.''

Kidd admits that he and James daydream about contending for championships together in Cleveland. "There's a little talk,'' Kidd said. "But I told him, 'What-ifs can get you in trouble. You go out there and do your thing, and if I don't get to play with you until this summer [at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing], then that's the way it's meant to be. But the big thing is for you to go out there and lead your team.' And that's what he's doing.''

My sweet lord, don't tease me like this. Jason Kidd and LeBron together? I vowed not to think or write about it. This is complete speculation and I thoughts of Kidd throwing lobs to James is just too much.

But then I saw that Kidd sat out last night's game against the Knicks 'on strike' and read this headline "Kidd wants to play with James in Cleveland" on Yahoo! Sports. Don't make me dream. Please... The Yahoo! article contained this:

There was no migraine headache holding Jason Kidd out of the New Jersey Nets' loss to the New York Knicks Wednesday night, but a superstar sending a message to a floundering franchise that he's irate with management and teammates, several league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

As the Nets flew back to New Jersey late Tuesday from a victory over Cleveland, sources said Kidd already had decided he would be sitting out against the Knicks in the Meadowlands. Kidd didn't tell Nets officials until Wednesday afternoon, but several people inside and outside the organization were made aware of the meaning behind his sick day.

Kidd's agent, Jeff Schwartz, isn't believed to have formally demanded a trade, but Wednesday's bold act could be the precursor to starting that process. Two sources said Kidd has been a constant text messaging partner with LeBron James since playing with him this summer on Team USA and that the Cavaliers are his preferred destination.

"They've been communicating about the (trade) options that could get them together in Cleveland," one Eastern Conference official said.

Wow. Just... wow. I have a trade option for you: Cleveland gets Kidd while New Jersey receives Larry Hughes and the expiring contracts of Ira Newble and Shannon Brown (and it works according to the trade machine. Get off your ass Danny Ferry!).

According to HoopsHype.com, Kidd's Salary for this season is $19.7 million and $21.3 next season. That's gonna be a tough go for the Cavs, cause the only eight digit contracts they have are James, Hughes and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. I can't imagine the Nets want either Hughes or Z (but I'd be willing to part with either for Kidd) so I don't really know where that leaves the Cavs.

Either way, despite my better judgment, I'm now on Jason Kidd watch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way on Earth that New Jersey wants Hughes when they already have Carter and Jefferson.

A third team would have to get involved. Memphis, maybe? They need some more backcourt scoring, they play in the offense-minded Western Conference and I'm sure Larry would love to play for a team that close to his hometown of St. Louis, where he has family and business interests.

Anonymous said...

Nobody wants Hughes right now. He's damaged goods.

I'd also be a little concerned about taking on Kidd b/c he's pretty old and when he leaves (in about 2-3) years, what would the team look like? LeBron might just leave with him.

On the other hand, I guess if you have a chance to pair LeBron up with Kidd you have to do it.

It would be very difficult to pull off though.

Ben said...

All of Dallas's talent is tied up in long term deals and the Lakers won't trade Bynum for Kidd (though that could change).

I'll believe a trade for Kidd when I see it... but still, it my heart is aflutter