Monday, May 18, 2009

I don't care what Charles Barkley says

I'm not sure why this needs to be an article in the PD (or at least on their site), but there ya go:
Charles Barkley, what did we ever do to you?

The NBA great and basketball analyst for TNT, who seems to have made it a habit of bashing Cleveland at every opportunity, was at it again last night following Game 7 between the Magic and Celtics.

Like he did back in March, Sir Charles once again referred to our city as "Mistake by the Lake" (Original, Charles!) and picked the Magic to beat the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Close watchers of TNT may recall Barkley picking the Cavaliers to win the NBA Championship earlier in the playoffs.

Uh, say what, Charles?

So, what's your take on Charles Barkley, his Cleveland bashing and flip-flopping? We want to hear from you! Tell us why you're ticked off at Chuck in the comments section below.

Do we really need this? Should a newspaper really be stirring things up between a national commentator and a (disgruntled, out of work) fan base? Meh. I mean, I'd rather have actual basketball information or at least more stats on Delonte's hair.

I dunno, this just seems stupid and unnecessary to me. Plus, for some reason I guess I'm one of the only Cleveland fans who actually likes Sir Charles. I find the guy hilarious and I'm glad that the Eastern Conference Finals are on TNT simply due to their studio team. Plus, the more we goad the guy, the more he'll rip on the city.

I'm not sure why we care, every Clevelander I know loves this thing (I know, I'm late), so why get worked up over the Round Mound of Rebound?

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Everybody is picking Cleveland to win the series (http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/matchup/_/teams/magic-cavaliers 10 out of 10 experts). Is it really such a bad thing if they have one person pick against them?
Also, here is another Cleveland reporter clumsily trying to stir up shit (http://deadspin.com/5246162/feuding-reporters-briefly-enliven-terrible-cavs+hawks-series).

Anonymous said...

charles who??? oh that fat tub of goo who knows all about the evils of drinking and driving and still did it??? the same guy who never won a damn thing in his nba career while lebron james and the cavs are poised to win their first title of many??? who gives a red rat's ass what charles says??? at this point he's merely comic relief, the court jester who sits at the foot of the king's throne and makes a fool of himself. how appropriate.

Erik said...

Whatever is in Charles' head comes out his mouth.

Bill Simmons was right: Barkley has reached the Howard Stern level of tolerance. He can say whatever he wants, and people will just smile and shake their heads. He could literally get on the air and tell Jewish leaders to quit whining about the Holocaust, and most people would just chalk it up to Chuck Being Chuck.

(OK, maybe that's too severe of an example, but you get the idea.)

Ben said...

Here's the thing, I LIKE Barkley. I find him funny and somewhat insightful.


I got no beef w/him ripping on Cleveland (lord knows I never do...), if I did, I'd have to have beef with Letterman, Leno and every funnyman ever...

I just don't see why the PD is trying to egg this thing on. Don't they have better things to do?

Anonymous said...

ok ben, i will give you funny, but insightful??? puh-lease!!! just about every time chuck actually talks about basketball, which is few and far between anymore, it's simply just a has-been "pissing contest" with kenny smith about who supposedly had the better career. it almost always comes down to kenny's 2 titles he won as a hanger-on to hakeem olajuwon, which for some reason trumps all the individual accomplishments that chuck achieved. it's even worse now with chris webber who adds even less credibility to the tnt studio show. at least barkley is funny and has chemistry with kenny and ernie. webber??? not so much.

Ben said...

I like Webber too. Maybe I'm weird.