Thursday, August 19, 2010

More Mosque

It's all politics. And it's shameful. I'm pissed at Republicans for being assholes and I'm pissed at Democrats for caving to these assholes.

What Digby said:
All afternoon I've been listening to reporter after reporter reassure the audience that Republican strategists are very upset about all this Muslim trash talk and that they really just wish everyone could get back to an elevated discussion of the economy.

That's very convenient, don't you think? Their lunatics are out there fanning the flames of racism and xenophobia for the neanderthal base, while they tut-tut on TV about civility. I think they are quite happy to have it both ways. Right now they are dominating the news cycle with this ugly nonsense, which is all they care about.

August hissy fits usually fade once they've done their job, which is gin up the GOP base with red meat politics (swiftboats, death panels, Ground Zero Mosque) and turn the Democrats into pretzels, making them look like they don't know their assess from their elbows.
Ugh. I don't disagree. Shit like this is why people get turned off to politics. The endless outrage. Meanwhile, these folks (the Obama's, the Republicans, the Deans, the Palins) are allegedly the people who are running the country (or want to). This is a distraction.

Meanwhile, this cracks me up:
PLANS to build a state-of-the-art library next to Republican catastrophe Sarah Palin are causing outrage across mainstream America.

Campaigners have described the project as insensitive and a deliberate act of provocation by people with brains.

The issue is forming a dividing line in advance of November's mid-term congressional elections with candidates being forced to declare whether they have ever been to a library or spoken to someone who has books in their home.

Meanwhile President Obama has caused unease within his own Democratic party by endorsing the library and claiming that not everyone who reads books is responsible for calling Mrs Palin a fuckwit nutjob nightmare of a human being.

But Bill McKay, a leading member of the right-wing Teapot movement, said: "Sarah Palin is a hallowed place for Americans who can't read.
and that's not The Onion (via Balloon-Juice).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben-- I couldn't agree with you more. While I don't currently reside there, NYC will always live in my heart. Watching whomever twist their skirts into a knot quoting the First Amendment out of one side of their mouth followed by "but..." gags me every time. I think Eric Cantor expressed it best, "But come on!!" Every single one of them knows the site is not at Ground Zero, and that the old Burlington Coat Factory building is not being demolished so a mosque, minarets and gold dome and all, can be 'built' there. Th City of New York granted the permit; this is not a national issue.

And on another note, I can't help but wonder if you are really to the left of my liberal self!

And, finally, must have set this up when Baby Glenn had a blog so posting anonymous for now. Aunt Ginny

Ben said...

Ya, as far as I'm concerned, if the people of NYC are OK with it, then I really don't care.

Heh, yes, I'm quite the lefty. I'm a bad influence on my parents.

buds groove said...

Ultimate cinnamon crunch.

Where to order coco p near me.
Best place to buy cookies crisp online.

Where to order count chocula online.

Ultimate cup cake.

Best place to buy dimond og online.