Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kidd to Dallas

Wow, the Nets got a sweet haul (notice the bold):
The deal -- salvaged from talks on a three-way trade with Portland that developed and fizzled quickly two weeks ago -- has Dallas sending 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, the expiring contracts of center DeSagana Diop and swingman Devean George and guard Maurice Ager to New Jersey for Kidd and forward Malik Allen.

Sources say Dallas will also send the Nets the league-maximum $3 million, the Mavs' first-round draft pick this June and a first-rounder in 2010.
That seems to a be a ton of stuff to give up for Kidd. Even with this:
The Nets are expected to buy out Stackhouse's contract immediately, which could enable him to re-sign with Dallas if he waits 30 days. "I feel great. I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back," Stackhouse said. "I ain't going nowhere."
I call shenanigans!

Anyways, I like Harris a lot and I wouldn't have traded the 24 year old for the 35 year old Kidd (but that's just me). I also wouldn't have traded Diop when the Suns just got Shaq (and when the Lakers have Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, the Spurs have Tim Duncan, the Rockets have Yao, etc).

So what's the market like for Mike Bibby and Ron Artest at this point? I mean, the Grizzlies gave up Gasol for Kwame Brown's expiring deal while the Nets got a Kings ransom for Kidd. At this point, I can see either of those two guys traded for practically anything.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to see Dallas give all that up for Kidd. Clearly, they must realize they're window to win it all is very small.

And to think, there was talk (though brief) about the Cavs possibly getting Kidd while they wouldn't have had a shot in hell of putting a deal on the table that would have compared to Dallas'.

In any case, I'd really like to see the Cavs go and get Mike Miller if they didn't have to give up too much. I think he could really make this team lethal.

Ben said...

Miller would be a good choice, I just wonder what it will take to get him.

If I'm the Cavs, I might make a call to see how available Vince Carter is. The Nets aren't thrilled with the 4 year deal they just signed him to, so they might want to dump him for deals that end sooner.

He's not the best player and sometimes he takes nights off, but even in Jersey, he was the first option. Sure, Kidd was the better player/bigger name, but Carter was the guy expected to get points and get to the line. In Cleveland, he'd be much more of a second option. He wouldn't have to take all the hits inside, wouldn't have the pressure to score every night (as that'd be all on LeBron).

I mean, the rumors are that the Nets will be trading him for Jermaine O'Neal... Carter is 31 and won't be involved with New Jersey's rebuilding...

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Well, so much for the Kidd deal. This is one crazy trading period we've had.

As for Carter, it would be risky, but it might just pay off. I don't think they'd do it unless they thought LeBron was really, really frustrated with the franchise.

Not a big Carter guy, but he can score pretty consistently, and he'd never get doubled.

Ben said...

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Devean George can veto a trade.