Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Ugh

I'm not sure what I programed my VCR to do from 8:30 to 11:15 tonight, but it sure as hell wasn't to record the Cavs game (I've had two different VCR's over the past week and this was the first test of recording a game while I was at work. Results were not good).

For what it's worth, I caught the fourth quarter. I was really surprised by their lack of urgency. The Cavs were down 10 with 4 minutes to go and LeBron is resetting the play and bringing it back out with 10 seconds on the shot clock. You're down 10, you don't have the time or luxury to keep resetting the play. Also, it's tough to make a late comeback when you can't hit your free throws.

From what I've seen around the web, this was not their best effort. Which is too bad, especially coming off the loss to Memphis (though it's not too surprising given that it was a OT loss).

Tough loss and I'll (hopefully) watch it tomorrow (I apparently enjoy suffering) but I don't want to get too down on the Cavs (but again, I haven't seen 3/4ths of this game). At the end of the day this was just a rough loss on the road in December. It's still early. If there's any issue is the fact that they still haven't really gotten used to Shaq and that Mo Williams has a real problem guarding quick guards (as we've seen these past two games). I'm OK with Shaq on this team but the Cavs are going to need to figure this out soon- the trade deadline is two months away. If Shaq isn't working come mid-February, Danny Ferry is going to have to think long and hard about just cutting his losses. (Of course, it's early December, there's a ton of time left).

1 comment:

Erik said...

Remember, Shaq was brought in to fill the very specific role of matching up with Dwight Howard and the bigs on the Celtics and Lakers. He hasn't looked good the past two games, but you really can't look at that as evidence that the Shaq experiment is failing.

IF Ferry decides to part with Shaq (and I really don't think he will, even if he looks downright miserable for stretches), another dominant big man had better be coming to the Cavs in the deal, or they're going to be right back where they were last year, with no answer for Howard, Gasol, etc.