Sunday, March 14, 2010

Seriously?

The Browns signed Jake Delhomme. Ugh. Sometimes... man, sometimes I just hate the Browns:
Jake Delhomme is "very, very excited" about coming in to be the starting quarterback of the Browns and will be here Monday for the start of the off-season program, a league source said Saturday.

Delhomme, 35, agreed to terms on a two-year deal, agent Rick Smith confirmed for The Plain Dealer. Terms were not disclosed, but the source said Delhomme will make $7 million — a starter's salary — in 2010.

Seven million dollars? $7 million dollars? They're paying 35 year old Jake '8 TD, 18 INT last season' Delhomme seven million dollars? Great.

Here's the spin:

Delhomme explained that he was playing tight last season after the playoff meltdown.

"When I play I try to sling it around. I wasn't doing that last year," he said. "I was trying not to make the mistake. I don't play that way."

Those close to Delhomme are convinced he can regain the form that led helped him lead the Panthers to the Super Bowl in 2003 and earn a Pro Bowl berth in 2005. He also has more than 20 fourth-quarter comebacks and a 58-40 record over the past seven seasons, including the playoffs.

Sweet. Here he can just play loose and sling it around to all those skill position players the Browns have. The Browns are just chock full of weapons that Delhomme can use at his convenience.

This is a guy who's 35 years old and coming off the worst season of his career. This isn't a "Kurt Warner in Arizona" situation either (and at least Warner has the big arm). The Browns don't have anyone with even half the talent of Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin.

And say goodbye to Brady Quinn. Jesus, what a clusterfuck that turned out to be. Trading for Seneca Wallace and signing Delhomme is pretty clear that Quinn is no longer wanted in Berea. I really do think the Browns screwed this kid up for good. I can never get past the fact that if Brady hadn't held out, he would've been the unquestioned starter his rookie year (he looked considerably better than both Charlie Frye and D.A. during that preseason). Now it's year four and teams still really don't know what Quinn can do.

But maybe this will work out and Delhomme can regain his skills (and the Browns will win football games, maybe?). It could happen... right?. I'll give Holmgren this, he's bold. I don't like the move (at all) but it seems, at the very least, like Holmgren knows what he wants.

So there's that.

Man, I can't wait for the Seneca Wallace/Jake Delhomme QB battle. That'll be, um, fun...

9 comments:

Graham said...

I don't mind bringing in Delhomme - he truly is better than Quinn and Wallace, which says a lot about the state of our team (How laughable it was when people would talk about the Browns have not one, but two, quarterbacks).

But what I don't get is the size of the contract. 7 million bucks? That just seems crazy.

LargeBill said...

Delhomme is 35 an flat out sucked last year.
Quinn is 26 and was pretty bad last year.
Which is likely to improve at this stage in their career?
Then when you consider the money. I could be just as awful for a lot less than 7 freak'n million dollars.

Holmgren should have just gone a head and fired Mangini if he was going to undermine his chances.

Erik said...

Suck with Quinn and Anderson or suck with Delhomme and Wallace. Either way it's going to walk like a duck and quack like a duck.

We should have known the instant Holmgren came on board that he was going to find his own QB, and until he could find that QB, he was going to put the job in the hands of placeholders. Quarterback is an area where Holmgren is going to have it done his way or the highway.

I'm leery of burning the No. 7 pick on a QB this year, but I'm beginning to think that's what is going to happen.

Graham said...

I think they go with a QB in the 2nd or with one of the 3rds, unless Holmgren really likes someone - and I don't think he will fall in love with a guy like Clausen (ugh, no more overhyped Notre Dame guys).

Anyway, I completely trust Holmgren when it comes to QBs. He knows what he's doing in this area.

Erik said...

To be clear, I don't want them to cut corners with finding a franchise QB. No more second or third or fourth round experiments like Charlie Frye. Holmgren needs to burn a high first rounder on a QB. Just not this year.

A) I don't think there is a franchise QB in this year's draft and B) this draft is so stocked with defensive talent, the Browns would be risking a lot to leave an Eric Berry on the board to take any quarterback.

They'll still be drafting pretty high next year, I would think. That might be the time to go after a quarterback. Next year's QB class will likely be led by Locker and Pryor. (We'll see how Pryor's game matures this year, but he has all the dimensions to be a dominant NFL QB.)

davemanddd said...

he wants jake locker. by getting rid of brady and bringing in jake the baked and seneca wallass, he is doing like what the cavs did to get lebron james. the browns will be the worst team in the nfl this year, get the # 1 pick and pick locker. mark my words.

Erik said...

As long as they have a healthy Cribbs, they're probably not going to be the worst team in the league. Cribbs is probably good for 2-3 wins on his own.

the 2010 Browns are 5-11 or 6-10, picking somewhere between 6 and 12 next year.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

glenie said...

Where to buy sour diesel near me.

Best place to buy sour diesel online.

Where to order sour diesel online.

Ultimate sour patch.

Best place to buy sour tangie online.

Where to buy blue dream near me.

Where to order blue dream online.