Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Letter to the Cavs

This is my email to the Cavs, they have a 'fan suggestions' email set up, I recomend dropping one by youself. greatideas@cavs.com

Hello, my name is Ben Cox and I've been coming toCavaliers games since
1991. I'm 22 years old, andI've been a Cavs fan my whole life, I went to
games(not many since I'm in college) the year before the Cavs got LeBron (one of
their 17 wins vs theWarriors).

I love going to games, and I've never had a bad experience at a Cavaliers event. That being said,since we drafted LeBron there seems to be a focused effort to 'slick up' the games at Gund Arena. Sexier cheerleaders (and outfits) a new mascot, new breakdancers and louder music. Some people may like thesethings, but I (and my friends and family) do not. They feel fake to us, like the organization is tryingtoo hard to be cool. People don't go to Cavs gamesfor the cheerleaders or dance teams. They don't go togames to see Moondog or hear extremely loud music. We go to watch good basketball. When was the last time you heard someone wax nostalgic about the Bulls cheerleaders of the 90s? Or the Spurs mascot. These things can be nice, but focus more on Clevelands fan base and history.

One thing I do like is the recent focus on the teams history. Show more Price, Daugherty and Nancefootage. Retire World B. Free's number (21). People go to see good basketball, and that's what you should be promoting and trying to sell. Moondog bugs me to no end, he doesn't make sense to any of us (of course the Indians have Slider as their mascot and he makeseven less sense). Have a pirate or something, aCavalier, we have the sword and stuff in the logo, but a dog as a mascot. It doesn't add up.

Also, I hear the new owner is changing many things about Gund Arena (including the name) with flatscreenTV in the locker rooms and stuff. If I could make a suggestion it'd be this: Change the seat colors. Withthe new uniforms it doesn't make sense, and ittranslates extremely poor on TV (where I see most of my games while in Columbus at OSU).

And whatever you do, keep Joe Tait working the games and Jeff Phelps on FSN. Thank you for reading my email.

Ben Cox

Music History

The Ohio State University

cox.405@osu.edu

benjamincox.blogspot.com

614-403-1836

No comments: