Monday, April 18, 2005

Scoop on the Cavs

Scoop Jackson has two articles on the Cavaliers today on ESPN.com. One is just a simple interview with the Cavaliers new owner, Dan Gilbert and another is Scoops assement of the Cavaliers current situation.

The interview is pretty interesting, it's the first time I've really seen anything publicly from Gilbert:

How long before we're laughing about this situation: one month after you get past Miami in the first round, one year after you all play in the 2006 NBA Finals, or never?

Gilbert: Look, I fully understand why some of these questions are being asked. What I don't understand are the inaccuracies, lies, distortions and embellishments of some grown men and women. I can't give you the exact timing of when we look back at the conclusion of the previous era with a smile and a that-was-not-a-fun-start conversation.

I can tell you that there is nothing that is going to get in the way of our desire and motivation to bring a team and organization that Cleveland and the entire state of Ohio can be proud of calling their own.

Stay tuned. We have not even started our ownership era yet. I am looking forward to getting it all going this summer.


Gilbert mentions throughout the article that his tenure as a owner hasn't really started yet. And I agree. But he also fired the coach. A few weeks after he took over. During the playoff chase. Before his 'tenure even started.'

Look, I'm not worried about LeBron leaving or forcing a trade. And I'm not too worried about Gilbert as an owner, it just started off on a sour note. But I think he can do a good job here, if he spends the money.

I think Jackson makes some very good points in the other article, the finest being this:
But perception is not reality. Reality is. And the reality is that Dan Gilbert has made only one move since coming in as owner of the Cavs. And judged against the number of coaching changes in the NBA this season alone, he's done nothing different than half the owners in the League have done.

No comments: