Monday, February 07, 2005

Canseco

Jose Canseco has a new tell all book where he talks about baseball and steroids. He alleges that he introduced McGwire and Giambi to them, and that the A's locker room was a steroid heaven.

Some of this I actually do believe, people vilify Barry Bonds, but McGwire is in the same situation and no one seems to talk about it. Lets say Bonds used THG (and I believe that he did), it wasn't illegal at the time, but we're still all (correctly) mad that Bonds cheated. Andro wasn't illegal when McGwire used it, but it is now, it's a banned substance. So why aren't we so mad at McGwire? Conseco says is on race, and I do think that could play a part of it, but I think McGwire was also better with people than Bonds is.

Does Consecos book have to be taken with a grain of salt? Hell yes. He says 80% of players are on the juice. And he also says that he gave roids to Palmero, Juan Gone and Pudge. Now I don't know about that (Gonzalez and Palmero do have pretty sweet swings) and 80% is a bit high. But I do think at least some of his allegations could be taken seriously.

No comments: