Friday, August 19, 2005

40 Year Old Virgin

Rating - A. This gets the Ben Cox Stamp of Approval.

I like R rated comedies. For awhile there we kept going PG-13. Dodgeball, Anchorman, Saving Silverman... PG-13, and you know all of these could've been better by just biting the bullet and upping it to an R rating (not saying these aren't awesome, they are).

Old School, Wedding Crashers, the American Pie movies, the Broken Lizard movies... these were all R rated. And I think it just gives the movie a little bit more room to breathe. They can go the extra yard for the joke. They can let a 'Fuck' slide here and there. Plus, with an R rated comedy, there's always a chance for some boobs. Which is always a good thing.

I liked the 40 Year Old Virgin a lot. I laughed through the entire thing. Steve Carell was amazing through out the movie. His buddies in the movie (Paul Rudd, Romany Malco and Seth Rogen) were awesome as well.

The first part of the movie made me feel 'second hand embarassed,' if that makes sense. I don't exactly like this feeling, maybe some people do, but it reminded me a lot of Meet the Parents and There's Something About Mary. Most of the first half is Carell acting nervous and scared, it just made me squirm a lot. But don't get me wrong, there were hilarious parts in the first half, but it just made me feel uneasy.

It could be because most of the early part of the movie showed Carell not knowing how to deal with women and just being generally awkward. It could've just hit too close to home. Cause let's face it, I still don't know what I'm doing when it comes to women, just because you have sex doesn't mean you've learned how to deal with women. They confuse the fuck out of me daily. [/end lame-sad personal note]

The second half of the movie barages you with jokes every few seconds, and 99% of the time they are spot on. The movie had a lot of casual drinking, nudity and pot use (which was kinda surprising). The movie showed Carell's buddies just sharing a joint or bowl every now and then, but didn't make a big deal out of it (kinda like Randy Moss). There's also a ton of one liners throughout which my friends and I are already quoting (I'm sure they'll get up there with the Old School and Anchorman quotes).

There movie did have a message about sex. It's both important and not important at the same time, if that makes sense (thats my view anyway). Having sex or not having sex doesn't make you happy or good. If you haven't had it, it doesn't matter. But at the same time, when showed in the context of a loving relationship, sex is important.

So there's my deep thoughts on the 40 Year Old Virgin. Good shit.

No comments: