Monday, August 14, 2006

Drew Gooden has Re-signed

Now, if you've read any of my Cavalier stuff, ever, you know I'm not the biggest Drew Gooden fan.

You were also aware that I wasn't against re-signing Gooden, I was against overpaying for Gooden.

The Cavs had offered him a 6 year $48 million dollar deal, which he turned down (thank God). Gooden was looking for a Nene-esque 6 year $60 million, which just wasn't going to happen.

There was sign and trade talk, there was one-year-deal-and-try-again-next-year talk but Gooden signed today for.......

3 years and $23 million.

That is awesome. Cavs fans were hoping to give Gooden something around 3 years and $30 million, but this is even better. I wasn't a fan of a $10 million a year Drew Gooden, but I can definitely get behind a $7-ish million dollar Gooden.

This was a great signing by Danny Ferry, retaining Gooden at a reasonable price was the right move. This offseason has to be qualified as a success; the Cavs got two draft picks that could help their year, Drew Gooden signed at a good price and LeBron re-upped.

The second Danny Ferry era looks a lot more promising than the first.

No comments: