Friday, July 27, 2007

Random Thoughts

1. Again, sorry for the lack of posts. I'm better than that.

2. I'm taking summer courses at Kent State (I'm doing the Ohio colleges tour apparently) and I'll be taking more grad classes this fall (speaking of school, a guy in my class showed up with a Trot Nixon Indians jersey. Talk about a waste of $50). I'm not sure how that's going to play out during the Cavs season, but we shall see...

3. Sure, there's been work and grad school, but there's also been a Harry Potter book and a new Civ IV expansion. I love me some Civ IV....

4. This past weekend I watched the Planet Earth series on DVD and well... it is awesome. And weird. I can't stress that enough. It is weird as hell. You sit there and watch this stuff and you're just like "Nope. No way is that real. I can't be sharing a planet with that thing." It's basically one giant infomercial for evolution.

5. Speaking of metaphorical commercials, I attended the Columbus Jazz & Rib Fest this past weekend and it was basically one giant condom commercial. The crowd was huge and the entire time we're there (and while we're getting there and while we're trying to leave) we're making way for miserable people pushing baby strollers through this massive crowd (and these baby strollers were everywhere).

6. OK, it was either a condom commercial or PSA on why you don't take babies to outdoor festivals. Either way, it did not look fun.

7. This NBA ref business. Surprisingly, I don't really have a whole lot of thoughts. Obviously, this is terrible for the league. I basically echo Bill Simmons's comments (but with less sucking up to Suns fans).

8. As for the other major sports controversy, Michael Vick... what can ya say? It doesn't look good, does it? I guess the lesson learned here is: don't breed dogs to fight each other. This was not how his career was supposed to go...

9. And as for which story is bigger or worse, things are much worse personally for Vick than they are for Tim Donaghy (well, except for that whole death threat business). But for the leagues, this is just another controversy for the NFL (which will get away untainted. If this was Stephen Jackson, I'd be reading columns by Bud Shaw about how the NBA is full of thugs) but Donaghy could have big implications on the NBA.

10. Well, biggish. I don't think the league is any serious jeopardy, but they really need to open up their reffing grade book and grading system. The less secrecy the better. Basically, listen to Mark Cuban.

11. Browns training camp starts today, and well... I'm not as pumped as a lot of people are. I dunno, I love the Browns, watch 'em every Sunday... but I can't exactly get myself excited for the season. I mean, best case scenario is.... 8-8? I dunno, we got a baseball team seemingly headed for the post season, a Cavs team coming off a trip to the Finals and my alma mater challenging for a BCS bid every season. I'll spend extra energy on the Browns when they deserve it.

12. I know we're all excited that the Browns had a great draft, but we still remember the schedule right? Needless to say, I'm not expecting much from this team.

13. Peter King has them ranked 32nd in his power rankings. Now, I don't know if they are that bad, but it wasn't like they were drafting 3rd in April because of some mistake. They weren't a good football team.

14. Some good news is that Joe Thomas and Eric Wright signed and will be in camp. This is good.

15. Brady Quinn looks like he'll be a holdout and the ABJ was even talking up the prospect of a year-long holdout with a trade in 2008. Now, I knew that these negotiations were tricky, but we're talking next year trade scenarios already? That's no good.

16. Gary Baxter is attempting to 'make history'. Good for him, but I wouldn't hold my breath. He blew out both of his knees (one of those, 'only in Cleveland' type injuries) and the odds are against him.

17. Terry Pluto says (among other things) don't count on LeCharles Bentley. I want Bentley to come back as much as the next guy and an offensive line featuring a healthy LeCharles, Eric Steinbach and Joe Thomas would be a beautiful thing to see. Let's take a wait and see approach, shall we?

18. Cliff Lee stunk it up last night. He's stunk it up all season. He also tipped his cap to the booing fans last night (yup, giving up 7 runs in each of your last 3 starts gives the fans no reason to boo). Well done, Cliff (best left-hander in baseball). You're done here.

19. We could see the return of Jeremy Sowers pretty soon.

20. I'd really (really really really really) like to see the Tribe go out and make a move before Tuesday's trading deadline. But there are no rumors at all. Well, there aren't any rumors anywhere.

21. Um... new Pat Tillman news...

22. Ya... not good... but not surprising...

23. Complete bullshit Cavs rumor! (somehow the Cavs get Mike Bibby AND Shawn Marion while giving up Gooden, Hughes, Snow, Wesley, Shannon Brown and two future #1)

24. When the 10 best remaining free agents include two Cavaliers and 3 Milwaukee Bucks... that is not a good crop of players.

25. Dajuan Wagner keeps plugging away.

26. Cavs vs Heat on Christmas day. Not sure how I feel about this... except that LeBron needs to move to a bigger market to get his name out there... National Christmas games... hosting the ESPYs.... hosting SNL... the man needs NYC!

27. I've gotten into disc golf recently, and I have to say, I'm quite enjoying it. Hudson has a pretty nice course and, best of all, it is free. I'm not that good but I do enjoy free fun.

28. Quick album reviews:

Reel Big Fish - Monkeys for Nothin' and the Chimps for Free: A- (much like their first two albums, more 'ska' rather than 'rock with horns')

O.A.R. - Live in Madison Square Garden: B- (kinda boring and I don't care much for their new versions of old songs)

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Rodrigo y Gabriela: A+ (how to describe their sound... flamenco, acoustic metal)

Paolo Nuntini - These Streets: B+ (took me a bit to get into, but I really dig 'These Streets', 'New Shoes', 'Loving You' and 'Alloway Grove')

Rooney - Call the World: B (not great, not bad either)

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger: B

The National - The Boxer: A- (really dark voice. I like it)

29. Zach Galifianakis + tractor + Kanye West. Enjoy.

30. The National - Fake Empire (Live on Letterman):

No comments: