Thursday, April 02, 2009

So uh, I saw the last 6 minutes

On one hand, I don't like to see this team lose to a squad like Washington's. But on the other hand, this team is allowed to lose, right? I have a hard time getting too worked up about a late season loss (that snaps a 13 game win streak).

I mean, the Lakers just lost to the Bobcats. These things happen. This was Washington's playoffs. This is the game they're gonna use to push season tickets. This was the end-all, be-all. This is all they had. I'm not exactly surprised they wanted it more.

My only beef is the number of treys the Cavs shot down the stretch (they shot 30 3s over all). I know they were down, but after the Cavs got that offensive board (when Bron-Bron clanked a freebie) and needed a bucket, James simply hoisted a bomb. Meh.

(anyways, I'm still working a ton- I'm gonna go pass out- but things will be looking better come May, once I move. This crappy blog will be much more focused and streamlined come playoff time. Just bear with me a little longer.)

2 comments:

Erik said...

Two things that stood out for me from last night's game:

1. I turned off my TV and headed to my car in the first quarter. It's maybe a two-minute walk from my apartment to the garage. Factor in turning off lights, locking the door, starting the car, etc., it was maybe 3 or 3.5 minutes from the time I turned off the TV until the time I turned on the radio in my car. In that span, the Cavs' lead went from 11-2 to 13-12. At that point, I knew they weren't winning the intensity battle.

2. In the fourth quarter, with the Cavs trailing 102-97, LBJ gets fouled. He makes the first free throw, misses the second. The rebound gets bobbled around and is secured by Z, who kicks it back out to Mo, who slings it over to LeBron. They're down 102-98 with two minutes and change to play. Time to make a move. Instead, LeBron hoists one of his trademark impossibly-long threes with maybe 6 or 7 seconds elapsed on the shot clock. He clanks it, Wizards get the rebound, and I'd argue that was the final nail in the coffin.

If it goes in, LBJ is a hero. But it doesn't make it a good shot. Maybe you try stuff like that if you're nursing a small lead. But not trailing inside of three minutes, when every possession is critical. That was LeBron wasting a gift possession that could have pulled the Cavs to within a basket. It just underscored how brain dead they were last night.

Ben said...

Ya. That 3 was the nail. It was such at terrible shot. You don't need a 3 there. You get a good shot, make a basket and we have a 2 point ball game.

I have a hard time getting too upset about this game though. There were definitely problems and parts I didn't like, but I just can't bring myself to get that worked up. Even w/the home court throughout battle going on... I mean, this is their 14th loss. I don't wanna say who cares... but... they can't win every time.