Friday, July 07, 2006

Book News

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's newest Dragonlance book, Dragons of Dwarven Depths, comes out Tuesday.

I've loved the series since I first picked up Dragons of Autumn Twilight (the first of the entire series) and I'll read anything Weis and Hickman write together.

Speaking of Dragons of Autumn Twilight, it turns out they are making it into a movie. It'll be animated and I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's my opinion that for live action fantasy/comic book movies, you need A) a huge budget and B) a director who loves the material.

For every Lord of the Rings and X-Men there is a Dungeons and Dragons and Daredevil (movies where the story/effects weren't as important as getting the franchise out there to make $$). While Dragonlance has a big following (the new Weis and Hickman books always make the NYT Bestseller list), I don't think the fanbase is large enough to justify the budget a good live action Dragonlance movie would need.

Animation seems like the right way to go here. If done right, you can tell the whole story without comprimising any of the action. I have no idea what the animation will be like and I also have no idea if this is a theatrical release (though I doubt it). It says it will be an adult cartoon, so hopefully they don't try to make it too cute or anything.

Needless to say, I'm excited (and a dork)

No comments: