Thursday, February 16, 2006

IPod Video

I just got one, 60 gigs, which is more than my C drive.

This thing is pretty badass, I got the complete catalogues for the Beatles, OAR, Dispatch, Jack Johnson, Reel Big Fish along with a bunch of other random albums, and I've only taken up 10 gigs. This thing is huge!

I'll make mix cds and playlists every now and then, but I'm an album guy. I like listening to a CD all the way through, every track. And the iPod lets me do that, it reads the albums and the tacks from the MP3 tags, it is awesome. I can't crank 5-6 albums a day at least, I'll listen to an album on the way two or from class. Another 2 while working out and a few more while studying.

I tried to upload some of my music videos, but it looks like I can only use certain formats (I haven't really dug that deep yet).

So far I've downloaded some of the Battlestar Galactica episodes (I've heard a lot about the show and I wanted to check it out). The video plays great, I can watch the episodes while I ride the bike at the gym for 45 minutes (I'm still not allowed to run).

I've really re-discovered some great albums I haven't listened to in awhile.

The first is Better Book Ends by The Littlest Man Band. These guys are great, they're a solo project from Scott of Reel Big Fish. The entire album is pretty kick ass, a bit mellow, but gorgious harmonies and melodies. I recomend It's You, Better Man, Always Sayin', Happened Again and Wrong Bed.

I've also gotten to listen to Royal Crown Revue's Mugzy's Move. If any album can be traced back to the start of the Neo-Swing movement of the 90s, this is it. There are some great tunes on here, Hey Pachuco! (from The Mask soundtrack and marching bands everywhere), Mugzy's Move, Beyond the Sea, Datin with no Dough, The Rise and Fall of the Great Mondello and Barflies at the Beach.

Ringo is considered Ringo Starr's first real solo record. It's the last album that has all four Beatles appear on it (albiet not all on the same track). Lennon, Harrison and McCartney all penned some tunes for Ringo. Lennon's I'm the Greatest has a lot of Beatle references and Ringo pulls off the song much better than I believe Lennon could've (sounds too egotistic with Lennon singing), Harrison plays guitar on the track as well. Photograph is another greatsong on here (one of Ringos hits). It was written by George and is a really great song. Ringo also had a minor hit with a cover of You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful, and You're Mine). Oh My My is another great song, not as big as the others, but along with Devil Woman, one of the more rockin tunes on the record. McCartney's Six O'Clock is okay, its not bad; it does have Paul, Linda and Ringo, so its still pretty neat. The origional closer (the reissue has some additional singles) has Ringo's farewell to the listener and he thanks all who helped make the record, including the big 3, its kind of neat. Then there are two of my favorite tracks of all of the solo Beatle years, Ringo's megahit, It Don't Come Easy. This song just kicks ass, thats all I can say, just listen to it. The final track is called Early 1970, which is real cute song in which Ringo talks about visiting all the other Beatles. For a Beatle fan like myself, its great.

Well, I could go on, but thats what I've been listenin to on the iPod. I also bought Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah!, and honestly... meh

No comments: