Friday, September 15, 2006

Yankees done in Columbus

They're getting a new baseball stadium and now a new team (they just don't know who yet). From the Columbus Dispatch:

If the Columbus Clippers are to be affiliated with a New York team next season, it will have to be the Mets and not the Yankees, their major-league partner for the past 28 seasons.

The Yankees informed Columbus Baseball Team Inc. last week that they will explore other triple-A options, possibly moving their top prospects to Moosic, Pa., in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

Immediately I thought about the Tribe, but if they do move their AAA team from Buffalo, it won't be til 2008:

Huntington Park is scheduled to open sometime in 2008 but possibly as late as the start of the 2009 season. The Clippers are looking for a two-year deal, but it won’t be with Cincinnati or Cleveland. The Reds (Louisville, Ky.) and Indians (Buffalo, N.Y.) have working agreements through 2008.

Schnacke would not rule out pursuing those clubs in the future.

I can't say I've ever been to a Clippers game, why? Well, the stadium was a little bit of a drive, not much, but wasn't easy to get to if you didn't have car like I did my first 2 years at OSU. But the main reason? They were the Yankees team. I hate the Yankees. Maybe I'm shallow, I know it would probably be a good time at the ballpark and a nice evening. But these were Yankee players...

In 2008 should the Indians move their AAA team to Columbus? I dunno, but I do that there's a greater chance of me seeing a game in Columbus if they do.

Honestly? It makes too much sense. The A team in Lake County, AA team in Akron and AAA in Columbus? Waaay too much sense.

No comments: